Moving on…

Hello everybody,

I had planned to close this forum, as it seemed to have lived out its purpose. However, a recent forum post convinced me to do otherwise. I hadn't realized that WebFaction was still around (I left at the beginning of the year) and that's its closure was imminent. So I'll leave this forum up and running in case other refugees have questions.

That said, discussing the Webfaction buyout was only half my purpose here. I also wanted to experiment with Vanilla forums, because you can do a lot of cool things with it that you can't do with my old forum software, Phorum. Alas, most of what I was interested in is only available on the hosted paid version :frown: so I'm going to switch to different forum software. I'm not going back to Phorum, because it hasn't been updated in a while (I'm not sure what's up with that), and I've looked at a lot of alternatives and I think I'm going to go with myBB. It acts more like a forum than Vanilla does, and it also offers a Vanilla importer.

I'm not sure when I'll have the time to do that—but it probably won't happen for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

Thanks,
-Ken

Comments

• Thanks for the notice (more than we got from WebFaction :) ) . Will we need to re-post any old posts that still have relevant info for refugees?

• You're welcome. We shouldn't need to repost anything. myBB has an import function that should pull in user accounts and forum posts. I'm experimenting around with this on another domain and will transfer it over here when I get it working without a snag.

• Well, the new forums are up and running at forums.kjodle.net (with an "s"). I haven't figured out the import yet, so for now I'm leaving this forum up, although I'm closing registrations and logins here.

I've also created a user-to-user forum for Opalstack here since Opalstack does not have forums up and running yet. (And to be honest, they're probably pretty low on their priorities while they're still in beta.) Feel free to ask questions!