I've decided to experiment with Gandi. I really wanted to avoid a host that uses cPanel.
It's a little quirky, which a slightly more attractive, but more complicated panel than WebFaction has.
1. A free SSL certificate if you also register your domain with them.
2. I transferred a domain to them to test the above, and the transfer process went really smoothly. The transfer completed and DNS updated in about 18 hours. (I suspect part of that wait was me not knowing I had to press an extra button at my old registrar.)
3. Subdomains (I really like subdomains) are fairly easy to set up.
1. You can't access your instance in a terminal without first activating the "Emergency Console" from the dashboard, and access expires after about an hour. Since I like to do most things from the command line, this is not something I like. I can learn to live with it, however.
2. My server is in France and I'm in the US, so doing things via sFTP takes a while.